One of the major features of the Apple ecosystem is cross-device connectivity. With Continuity and multiple Apple devices, you can share everything from browser tabs to text messages. With the right switches enabled, you can also allow your Mac to share your iPhone’s cellular voice connection and make phone calls with your Mac.
How does it work?
If your iPhone and Mac are on the same Wi-Fi network, you can make phone calls with your Mac using your iPhone. This will use the microphone and speakers of your Mac to place a call. This works by using your iPhone’s cellular plan to actually transmit the data pertaining to the call. And it’s not just for FaceTime calls either. You can place regular voice calls to landline phone numbers with this method. Since the microphone is a little far away from your face, the sound quality is about as good as Skype,or as good as using speakerphone. If you plug in your earbuds, the sound is much better. .
Make Calls From Mac App Iphone
Nov 08, 2014 Ever wonder how to make phone calls in your Mac? CallPad is a very simple app to ease making phone calls without picking up your iPhone. CallPad requires an iPhone with iOS 8 or later and an activated carrier plan. Phone calling works with any iOS device that supports iOS 8 or later and any Mac that supports Yosemite. On your Mac, open FaceTime and choose FaceTime Preferences and make sure ‘Calls from iPhone’ is selected Place a call using Contacts: You can Contacts (search for Contacts in Spotlight.
Once you have this set up, you can also receive calls with your Mac. Calls with ring through on both your Mac and your iPhone simultaneously. This can lead to a cacophony of ring tones when you get a call. Hopefully Apple will fix or modulate this feature in the future. But for now, it’s an echoing blast of ringers when you get a call.
Before you can make phone calls on your mac, you just need to do a little minor configuration on your phone and your Mac in advance. It’s especially convenient to make and receive calls from your Mac when your iPhone is buried in your purse or in the bottom of a backpack. That can make it very convenient to make phone calls with your Mac. Follow the steps below to configure your iPhone to make phone calls with your Mac.
Configure Your Phone
Each phone provider is different, so your settings might vary slightly. This series of steps should apply to the broadest collection of wireless providers. For some, you might be able to get away without enabling Wi-Fi Calling (step 2). Other providers require WiFi Calling to reveal the “Calls on Other Devices” menu. Either way, the steps below will cover all major carriers to configure your iPhone to make phone calls with your Mac. However, if anything looks different or your have trouble enabling this feature, your carrier’s tech support might be able to tell you the secret.
1. Open “Settings > Phone” on your iPhone.
2. If you see a menu labeled “Wi-Fi Calling,” tap that.
3. In the next screen turn on the toggle for “Wi-Fi Calling on This Phone.” This will allow your iPhone to make calls over a Wi-Fi network.
If you’re in the United States, once you press this toggle, you may have to enter an address for the Emergency 911 system. This allows 911 operators to attach your phone call to a location while you’re calling from that network. Make sure the address is accurate. And make sure that, if you move, your remember to update it. Otherwise, emergency operators could be confused about your physical location in the event of an emergency.
4. If you see a menu labeled “Calls on Other Devices,” tap it.
5. Turn on the toggle that reads “Allow Calls on Other Devices.” This is the switch that actually makes it possible to call from your other devices.
By default, this will allow every device on your iCloud account to share your iPhone’s cellular signal—provided they’re on the same Wi-Fi together. If you’d prefer to ban certain devices, you can manually disable specific devices in the toggle list at the bottom of that screen. This can prevent your kids from making calls from their iPad, for example.
Configure Your Mac
Once you have your phone configured properly, you can set up your Mac to make phone calls.
1. Open the FaceTime app (Applications -> FaceTime).
2. Open “Preferences …” under the FaceTime menu bar entry.
3. Make sure “Calls from iPhone” is checked in the middle of the dialog box.
Make Phone Calls with Your Mac
Once you have your Mac configured, there are a variety of ways you can make phone calls with your Mac. This is often indicated in the OS by either a blue underline (like a link) or a grey dotted box with a drop down arrow on the right. Let’s look at some of the more popular methods.
1. In the FaceTime app, enter a contact name or phone number search field. Mac menu bar for windows xp. Then, right click on the contact and select the phone number under “Call Using iPhone.” You can also click the phone icon within the main contact.
2. Click the phone icon under a contact’s name in the Contacts application.
3. In Safari click the drop down arrow next to a grey-outlined phone number on a web page and select “Call.” If you don’t see the grey outline, selecting the text with your cursor will often make it appear.
4. In Mail, click the drop down arrow next to a phone number and select how to make the call. This can be a little tricky, but selecting the phone number with your cursor will often make the menu appear.
5. Find a point of interest in Maps, click the information bubble, then click “Call.”
6. From Spotlight, enter a contact’s name. Then select the correct search result. Click the phone icon to place the call.
7. In Calendar, look for underlined blue phone numbers in the details associated with events.
8. In Reminders, click on an underlined blue phone number to make a call.
9. In Notes, click on the drop down arrow next to the phone number (or highlight and right-click), then select how to make the call.
You might also like the following posts:
Autocad software for mac. You can download AutoCAD 19.1 for Mac from our software library for free. Our built-in antivirus checked this Mac download and rated it as 100% safe. AutoCAD for Mac is categorized as Design & Photo Tools. This Mac application is an intellectual property of Autodesk Inc. Create precise 2D and 3D drawings with AutoCAD CAD software. AutoCAD includes industry-specific features for architecture, mechanical engineering, and more. Download Free Trial. You can try AutoCAD, AutoCAD for Mac, or any of the industry-specific AutoCAD. Download Autodesk AutoCAD 2021 for Mac from FileHorse. 100% Safe and Secure Create stunning designs and improve collaboration with productivity tools.
Best Apps for Your New Mac or iPhone
Iphone Call On Mac
How to Fix Cellular Data Problems on iPhone and iPad
Mac Apps Download
Record Your Conversations with These iPhone Call Recording Apps
Set up iPhone Cellular Calls
You can use iPhone Cellular Calls with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements. It works when your devices are near each other and set up as follows:
- Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
- Each device is signed in to FaceTime with the same Apple ID.
- Each device has Wi-Fi turned on.
- Each device is connected to the same network using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices, then turn on Allow Calls on Other Devices.
- On your iPad or iPod touch, go to Settings > FaceTime, then turn on Calls from iPhone.
- On your Mac, open the FaceTime app, then choose FaceTime > Preferences. Click Settings, then select Calls From iPhone.
If your carrier supports Wi-Fi calling on other devices, you can set up those devices to make and receive calls even when your iPhone isn't turned on or nearby. Learn about Wi-Fi calling.
Make and receive phone calls
Learn how to make and receive phone calls on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
Make Free Calls From Tablet
Make a call on your Mac
- Move the pointer over any phone number in Contacts, Calendar, Safari, or other app that automatically detects such data. Click the arrow in the box that outlines the phone number, then choose Call [phone number] Using iPhone.
- Or open the FaceTime app, enter a phone number in the search field, then click Audio.
Make a call on your iPad or iPod touch
- Tap a phone number in Contacts, Calendar, Safari, or other app that automatically detects such data.
- Or open the FaceTime app, tap , enter the phone number in the search field, then tap Audio.
Answer a call
- On your Mac, a notification appears when someone calls your iPhone. You can answer the call, send it to voicemail, or send the caller a message.
- On your iPad or iPod touch, slide to answer the call.
To stop getting calls on one of your devices, just turn off the Calls from iPhone setting on that device. See the setup section above for details.