Optimized Storage in macOS Sierra and later* can save space by storing your content in iCloud and making it available on demand. When storage space is needed, files, photos, movies, email attachments, and other files that you seldom use are stored in iCloud automatically. Each file stays right where you last saved it, and downloads when you open it. Files that you’ve used recently remain on your Mac, along with optimized versions of your photos.
* If you haven't yet upgraded to macOS Sierra or later, learn about other ways to free up storage space.
Find out how much storage is available on your Mac
Choose Apple menu > About This Mac, then click Storage. Each segment of the bar is an estimate of the storage space used by a category of files. Move your pointer over each segment for more detail.
Click the Manage button to open the Storage Management window, pictured below. This button is available only in macOS Sierra or later.
Manage storage on your Mac
The Storage Management window offers recommendations for optimizing your storage. If some recommendations are already turned on, you will see fewer recommendations.
Download CCleaner for free. Clean your PC of temporary files, tracking cookies and browser junk! Get the latest version here. Jul 15, 2020 AVG Cleaner for Mac is an entirely free mac cleaner software. This best utility to clean Mac disk also helps you to remove log files and hidden cache. It can even detect and delete duplicate files. This one of the best free mac cleaners also offers a View & Clean feature to scan and remove junk files in a. Berkeley Electronic Press Selected Works.
Store in iCloud
Click the Store in iCloud button, then choose from these options:
- Desktop and Documents. Store all files from these two locations in iCloud Drive. When storage space is needed, only the files you recently opened are kept on your Mac, so that you can easily work offline. Files stored only in iCloud show a download icon , which you can double-click to download the original file. Learn more about this feature.
- Photos. Store all original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud Photos. When storage space is needed, only space-saving (optimized) versions of photos are kept on your Mac. To download the original photo or video, just open it.
- Messages. Store all messages and attachments in iCloud. When storage space is needed, only the messages and attachments you recently opened are kept on your Mac. Learn more about Messages in iCloud.
Storing files in iCloud uses the storage space in your iCloud storage plan. If you reach or exceed your iCloud storage limit, you can either buy more iCloud storage or make more iCloud storage available. iCloud storage starts at 50GB for $0.99 (USD) a month, and you can purchase additional storage directly from your Apple device. Learn more about prices in your region.
Click the Optimize button, then choose from these options.
- Automatically remove watched movies and TV shows. When storage space is needed, movies or TV shows that you purchased from the iTunes Store and already watched are removed from your Mac. Click the download icon next to a movie or TV show to download it again.
- Download only recent attachments. Mail automatically downloads only the attachments that you recently received. You can manually download any attachments at any time by opening the email or attachment, or saving the attachment to your Mac.
- Don't automatically download attachments. Mail downloads an attachment only when you open the email or attachment, or save the attachment to your Mac.
Optimizing storage for movies, TV shows, and email attachments doesn't require iCloud storage space.
Empty Trash Automatically
Empty Trash Automatically permanently deletes files that have been in the Trash for more than 30 days.
Reduce Clutter helps you to identify large files and files you might no longer need. Click the Review Files button, then choose any of the file categories in the sidebar, such as Applications, Documents, Music Creation, or Trash.
You can delete the files in some categories directly from this window. Other categories show the total storage space used by the files in each app. You can then open the app and decide whether to delete files from within it.
Learn how to redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books.
Where to find the settings for each feature
The button for each recommendation in the Storage Management window affects one or more settings in other apps. You can also control those settings directly within each app.
- If you're using macOS Catalina, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Apple ID, then select iCloud in the sidebar: Store in iCloud turns on the Optimize Mac Storage setting on the right. Then click Options next to iCloud Drive: Store in iCloud turns on the Desktop & Documents Folders setting. To turn off iCloud Drive entirely, deselect iCloud Drive.
In macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Options next to iCloud Drive. Store in iCloud turns on the Desktop & Documents Folders and Optimize Mac Storage settings.
- In Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then click iCloud. Store in iCloud selects iCloud Photos and Optimize Mac Storage.
- In Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Store in iCloud selects Enable Messages in iCloud.
- If you're using macOS Catalina, open the Apple TV app, choose TV > Preferences from the menu bar, then click Files. Optimize Storage selects “Automatically delete watched movies and TV shows.”
In macOS Mojave or earlier, open iTunes, choose iTunes > Preferences from the menu bar, then click Advanced. Optimize Storage selects “Automatically delete watched movies and TV shows.”
- In Mail, choose Mail > Preferences from the menu bar, then click Accounts. In the Account Information section on the right, Optimize Storage sets the Download Attachments menu to either Recent or None.
Empty Trash Automatically: From the Finder, choose Finder > Preferences, then click Advanced. Empty Trash Automatically selects “Remove items from the Trash after 30 days.”
Other ways that macOS helps automatically save space
With macOS Sierra or later, your Mac automatically takes these additional steps to save storage space:
- Detects duplicate downloads in Safari, keeping only the most recent version of the download
- Reminds you to delete used app installers
- Removes old fonts, languages, and dictionaries that aren't being used
- Clears caches, logs, and other unnecessary data when storage space is needed
How to free up storage space manually
Even without using the Optimized Storage features of Sierra or later, you can take other steps to make more storage space available:
- Music, movies, and other media can use a lot of storage space. Learn how to delete music, movies, and TV shows from your device.
- Delete other files that you no longer need by moving them to the Trash, then emptying the Trash. The Downloads folder is good place to look for files that you might no longer need.
- Move files to an external storage device.
- Compress files.
- Delete unneeded email: In the Mail app, choose Mailbox > Erase Junk Mail. If you no longer need the email in your Trash mailbox, choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items.
- The Storage pane of About This Mac is the best way to determine the amount of storage space available on your Mac. Disk Utility and other apps might show storage categories such as Not Mounted, VM, Recovery, Other Volumes, Free, or Purgeable. Don't rely on these categories to understand how to free up storage space or how much storage space is available for your data.
- When you duplicate a file on an APFS-formatted volume, that file doesn't use additional storage space on the volume. Deleting a duplicate file frees up only the space required by any data you might have added to the duplicate. If you no longer need any copies of the file, you can recover all of the storage space by deleting both the duplicate and the original file.
- If you're using a pro app and Optimize Mac Storage, learn how to make sure that your projects are always on your Mac and able to access their files.
Need free malware protection? AVG AntiVirus FREE is an award-winning anti-malware tool that scans and removes viruses, detects and blocks malware attacks, and fights other online threats, too. Protect your system with our world-class malware scanner and virus checker that’s fast, lightweight, and 100% free.
Scan and remove malware and viruses the easy way
AVG AntiVirus FREE equips your system with industry-leading malware removal and protection. Get best-in-class cybersecurity, including:
- Free malware removal and protection
AVG AntiVirus FREE removes computer viruses and other malware, and keeps you safe against future attacks.
- Instant virus scans
Lightning-fast and easy to use, AVG AntiVirus FREE scans and removes malware with just a single click or tap.
- More than anti-malware
Viruses and other malware aren’t the only threats on the internet. AVG AntiVirus FREE protects you against unsafe links and attachments, outdated software, and other common risk vectors.
- 24/7 anti-malware defense
Our virus scanner runs quietly in the background, detecting and blocking malware at all times, even when you’re not actively using it. And we continuously update AVG AntiVirus FREE to ensure you remain protected against emerging and evolving threats.
Enjoy around-the-clock protection against viruses and other malware with AVG AntiVirus FREE. The best part? It’s absolutely free!
Praised by the pros
AVG AntiVirus FREE is consistently recognized as a top-tier solution for free malware removal and protection. Download it now and see why AV Comparatives recognized AVG AntiVirus FREE as a Top Product of 2019. We believe we’re the best at keeping people safe — and the experts agree.
Keeping people safe all over the world
“AVG AntiVirus FREE is an excellent product that does not slow my machine down. It has never crashed, is simple to update, and, possibly most important, seems to catch 99% of any viruses I come across on the fly.”
Steve J. McWilliams
Best Free Mac Cleaning Software
“AVG Free is easy to download and install. It runs in the background without hogging memory and has blocked and/or removed several items on my PC.”
“I cannot rely only on Microsoft's protection, because I have important data on my PC, like accounting information of my company. I also shop online quite often. I am satisfied with AVG.”
Protect your Mac and mobile too
It’s not just PCs that need cybersecurity protection — your Mac and mobile devices are also at risk from malware and other common online threats. No matter what’s on your desk or in your pocket, AVG has a security solution uniquely tailored to your digital lifestyle.
Using Free Clean My Mac Software
AVG AntiVirus FREE for Mac insulates your macOS computer against Mac-specific threats, and it detects PC and mobile malware as well. That way, you won’t accidentally pass along any malware from your Mac to family, friends, or colleagues who use other devices. Scan and remove threats on your computer, and help protect the folks you care about.
Did you know that phones can get malware too? Bring our powerful anti-malware solution to the palm of your hand with AVG AntiVirus for Android — included free with AVG AntiVirus FREE. Defend your Android against malware, and keep your device out of the wrong hands with the built-in Anti-Theft Phone Tracker.
While you’re not going to get a virus on your iPhone, you do put your data at risk every time you connect to unsecured public Wi-Fi. Free pc fax software download. But with the Wi-Fi Security scanner feature in AVG Mobile Security for iPhone & iPad, you’ll know in advance whether or not a network is safe. And if your data gets leaked, AVG's Identity Protection feature will alert you so you can change your password and keep hackers out of your accounts.
Download our free malware scanner and removal tool
AVG AntiVirus FREE scans and removes all types of malware while detecting and blocking future attacks. And it’ll cover you against a wide range of other digital threats, too. Download our world-class malware removal tool now, 100% free.
» How can I scan and remove viruses and malware?
The quickest, easiest, and most reliable way to scan and remove viruses and other malware is to use a specialized malware removal tool like AVG AntiVirus FREE. You can also remove malware and malicious apps from your phone with our dedicated mobile tool.
» Will this tool remove all types of malware?
Viruses aren’t the only type of malware, but AVG AntiVirus FREE is equipped to remove the full spectrum of malware threats. So yes — this tool will clear up nearly any malware infection you might come across.
» Won't Windows Defender remove malware automatically?
While it can detect and remove many types of malware on its own, Windows Defender isn’t enough. If you’re looking for protection against the full range of online threats, you’ll be safer with a dedicated malware removal tool like AVG AntiVirus FREE.
» What's the difference between malware and a virus?
Malware refers to any type of harmful software or code, while a virus is just one type of malware. A virus’s signature trait is its ability to inject its code into your computer’s software, then replicate and spread itself to other systems. Other types of malware work differently.
Learn more about viruses, malware, and other digital threats over at the AVG Signal Blog.
Get more security tools
- Free Trojan Removal Tool & Scanner
Prefer to DIY?
If you’d rather not secure your device with comprehensive anti-malware protection, we also offer a full range of tools that can target specific threats.
We highly recommend that you use these tools only if you know what you’re doing!